It's not an isolated thing in business. It results from how we lead and how we team. To change culture, consider changing how we lead and team.
A recent report from TinyPulse revealed some shocking statistics;
- Employee loyalty is decreasing
- Leadership lacks self-awareness
- Employees lack direction
- Employees aren’t being recognised or feel valued
- Majority feel company culture is mediocre
What action can we take;
- Get clear on expectations, together, united
- Share your future dreams and set team aspirations & goals – create shared meaning
- Take time to recognize good work, regularly - it's also a great gratitude practice
- Let your team know how important they are to the cause and how they contribute
- As a leader, build self-awareness, know your strengths, share more of you & ask for feedback
- As a business, invest in developing leaders to invest in culture
- Have Trust play center stage in the business
And Trust, for me, is a hygiene factor, an essential first step in teaming and leading. Language, actions and mindset have an impact. When we are skeptical, withhold or limit information, exclude or don't follow through, this ultimately impacts levels of trust in the business.
So where to start if you want to change the culture of your business? Ensure you are business ready and this means the organisation has shared meaning and is aligned on strategy, and leaders see feedback as valuable and have the capacity (and tools) to act on the feedback. Then invest in a pulse tool to create ongoing insights, with the right measures and invest in the development of your leaders.
Why does this matter? We know from decades of research that discretionary effort is achieved, innovation fueled, loyalty cultivated, and financial return positively impacted when elements of high performance exist in your culture. And the future of business relies on innovation and financial uplift.
PeopleQ is a certified leadership coach and ICF member and the founder of PQfactor, a pulse tool focused on the intangible elements that cultivate a high performance culture. Talk to us today to understand how we can support you to positively impact CULTURE.
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.peopleq.com.au | 0498 800 008